APTIM Energy Solutions is seeking an experienced Energy Engineer with programmatic and project management expertise to work with our Focus on Energy (Focus) Program Administration team. This position will be based in Wisconsin and is an individual contributor position within the portfolio operations team.
The Wisconsin Focus on Energy Program is one of the longest standing, most renowned energy efficiency and clean energy programs in the country. Celebrating 20 years of Focus on Energy, this award-winning program serves 107 utility territories across the Wisconsin market and supports over 50,000 energy projects annually. Additionally, Focus boasts one of the highest benefit-to-cost ratios in the industry, yielding nearly $5 in local economic benefits (including job creation, cost savings for local businesses and residents, etc.) for every $1 spent.
APTIM’s role as the Program Administrator is to develop energy-saving programs vital to residential and business customers throughout the state. The Energy Engineer will provide technical expertise and assist other technical staff with program analysis and project review. There will interaction with program implementer partners, evaluators, customers and internal APTIM colleagues. Industry knowledge and technical expertise in both residential and non-residential energy efficiency and renewable energy solutions is required. Additional program responsibilities will include activities related to performance management and program design and oversight of technical requirements. Coordinating directly with internal functional teams will be paramount. This position will report to the Engineering and Evaluation Technical Manager and be directly responsible for the management of residential, business, and renewable portfolio technical resources.
The successful candidate will immediately assume an active role leading technical reviews. This role requires a dynamic individual with a solutions-focus approach who communicates across functional teams to exchange ideas, embraces a collaborative approach, and finds solutions to challenges as they arise
Candidates must be able to manage multiple tasks with competing deadlines, be well-versed in DSM program technologies, strategies and approaches, have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and be able to maintain positive relationships with colleagues and implementation contractors. The role requires a person who is accountable, process driven, and pragmatic.
- Discuss technical elements of energy consuming equipment in residential, commercial & Industrial facilities (lighting, HVAC, hot water systems, envelope, integrated design, building automation systems, process, motors, ventilation, compressed air and other equipment) and how it affects utility consumption and demand, to help prioritize recommendations and achieve goals.
- Review customer incentive applications for energy savings projects to ensure completion and accuracy, such as confirming detailed savings calculations
- Participate in QA/QC and internal audit activities
- Keep current on the latest energy-saving technology to provide program design suggestions when appropriate
- Ensure codes and regulatory standards are integrated into program design
- Provide technical expertise regarding energy efficiency and beneficial electrification technologies
- Participate as a technical expert in research projects
- Engage in RCx activities including site assessments and tech reviews
- Overseeing the performance management of the portfolio of energy efficiency and renewable energy programs
- Providing guidance for the resolution of technical issues
- Working with other functional team leads to develop and share ideas and best practices
- Building relationships with program implementation leaders as well as other industry stakeholders
- Preparing reports for use by the Portfolio Operations team
- Promoting communication and collaboration among both internal and external Focus on Energy teams
- Ensuring compliance with all APTIM quality and safety policies as well as all OSHA regulations
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering from an accredited four-year college or university.
- 2-4+ years’ program experience related to energy efficiency, mechanical design, energy modelling or construction
- Working knowledge of energy efficiency technologies and energy-saving solutions including lighting, HVAC, and mechanical systems for both residential and non-residential customers.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills; experience with client engagement and coordination.
- Strong quantitative and analytic capabilities including calculation review and spreadsheet analysis.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software.
- Advanced written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in the design, development, and implementation of energy efficiency programs.
- Tangible and documented project management experience.
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM), Project Management Professional (PMP), and/or Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)
- Understanding of energy efficiency technologies and energy-saving solutions including, lighting, HVAC and mechanical systems
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders